Employers Share Tips for Getting Your Resume Noticed
Our Fortune 1000 employer and recruiter partners tell us that the polished resume remains the entry ticket to getting an interview. Here are their 5 top resume tips:
- Send a cover letter and your resume. The cover letter should explain why you are a good fit for the position.
- Use appropriate and professional email addresses. Never use addresses that are in poor taste.
- Be a qualified applicant. If you are over or under qualified for the position, beware of burning a bridge with a potential recruiter or employer.
- Keep your resume factual not fluffy. Overstated accomplishments are a turn-off.
- Attachments are acceptable, but with conditions. If you send an attachment, make sure it is a Microsoft Word™ document or send a plain text version.
In a recent poll, employers and recruiters told us how they like to receive resumes. More than 50% responded that they prefer to view resumes in an online resume bank, while only 11% said that they want to receive a resume via postal mail and only 7% prefer to have a link to an online resume.Search for Jobs